Wednesday, June 13, 2007

mommy stress

So the boys are about to turn a year old and I'm so filled with mommy stress that my stomach has a big knot in it. I remind myself that most of this stuff isn't really a big deal and not to worry about this stuff and I do fine for awhile, then they'll pop back into my head (and stomach). The worst is when I start thinking about it at night and can't sleep.

I'm worried about:
  • Aaron still fights drinking formula out of a sippy cup. Some days I have to decide which worries me more, him not getting his normal 12 oz of formula or him not drinking out of a sippy cup.
  • Aaron only drinks a total of 12 oz of formula on a good day, normally he's well below that.
  • Will we ever figure out what's going on with Aaron's wheezing? Will we ever get to stop nebulizing him twice a day? Is his acid reflux really responsible for the breathing issues (the latest doctor theory)? Will he ever get to decrease the number of daily medicines he's on (2 different ones for the nebulizer and 1 he takes orally)?
  • Is it really normal that neither boy has spoken their first word yet (we're not counting "mama" & "dada" because they don't seem to have a real meaning yet)?
  • We need to start them on milk. Since neither boy has ever really liked formula, I'm worried they won't like milk either. And what if Aaron has to do soy milk, how will that go over?
  • We need to start moving them away from baby food. How will I make sure they eat healthy and get enough nutrition? It's not like I'm the best role model for that one!
  • We need to start giving them more freedom in the house. How will I begin to make sure our house is baby proofed for these 2? (This one is really overwhelming me. There's so much I don't know how we can even do. Some things I can't even figure out a solution that isn't very costly.)
  • We need to start giving them freedom in their bedroom. I'm really stressing about them successfully climbing out of their cribs. How can I begin to make sure their room is safe for them?! (Some nights I lay in bed staring at the screen on the monitor b/c I'm so paranoid they're going to escape and hurt themselves.)

O-kay. I have to stop this list b/c this isn't making me feel any better. I'm actually getting more stressed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

OK... I can say that I have stressed/do stress over most of your bullets and so I can relate to almost every one and will comment on them (not to say that the comments will be helpful, but you can take them for what they are worth.)I will say though, that for some reason my stress level has taken a drastic turn for the better. It didn't happen until after he turned one though. Maybe that magic will occur for you too!!

What sippy cups are you using? Dylan did NOT like the ones that had hard mouthpieces, he LOVES the Nubys, have you tried those? We JUST started giving him strictly sippycups this past week. I JUST took the bottles out of the cabinet this morning!

As for the formula... my doc told me that I should stop it after we made sure he was OK with milk (we thought he had milk protein allergies all this time, and come to find out, he is doing just fine on milk.) I still put half formula/half milk in the bedtime bottle (I guess with the thought that it will fill him up a bit more), but other than that he switched to straight milk about 3 weeks ago. Once this container of formula is finished, we are officially DONE with formula! YES!!

Gotta run for now, we are going to shop for our fathers. I'll write more later. I will also email you to make plans! I was so happy to see your email!! I am so excited!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that you have heard this from me before. My generation did not know that we were supposed to be stressed about things like how much our babies were drinking or the transition to cups. My general rule was that crawling babies looked bad with pacifiers and walking babies shouldn't carry bottles around and water is what bedtime bottles contained. Babies do repel from their cribs and when you did you went into a bed. Babyproof the bedroom and listen for the thump..."Aaah!" I love you.

7:56 PM  
Blogger virge said...

Mom - you don't know how often I think about your saying that my generation has too much we're told to worry about. It's about all that keeps me sane, is knowing that these "rules" didn't exist before and yet none of us are still drinking formula out of bottles!

9:05 PM  
Blogger virge said...

Jessica - your comment about the bottles made me SO happy! I'm so relieved to hear that Dylan only just started doing strictly sippy cups. We try to use the Nubys with the soft top when they drink formula (except the last one before bed since the doctor said we needed to put cereal in his bottle again to keep the acid reflux from sending stuff into his airways while he sleeps) and other hard sippy cups when they drink juice. Aaron has no problem drinking the juice out of either type of sippy cup but he doesn't like drinking formula out of anything except the bottle. And regardless of sippy cup or bottle, he absolutely REFUSES to drink formula if he's sitting up.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember well, "tying" Barbara to me in case I fell asleep and putting you to bed howling (with strict orders from parents NOT to pick you up at bedtime), and so you slept with a large OPEN safety pin in your nightie. Yep, kids survive the worst of us. But, hey -- maybe those very isolated incidents made Barb a rebel and you hate stickers - YOU KNOW, I'm absolutely NOT laughing at your stress. I actually think it is a GOOD sign that you care so very much -- the trick as my inexperience tells it is like in areas where we get so worried we're crazy -- we're TOO self-absorbed -- and need to distance ourselves a little from the stress -- and above all: laugh a lot! and remember the world is much bigger than our immediate issues. so much from the aunt who never worried abou babies .. there's always the delete button! amor y besos

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Dylan does not say any words yet either. Every once in awhile I wonder when he'll start making out words, but I know it will eventually happen. Try not to stress about it.
Since we learned Dylan could tolerate milk, I started throwing all sorts of food on his tray and he pretty much likes them all! He doesn't like baby food at all anymore. I concern myself with protein intake (we are not big meat eaters, so he doesn't eat meat every day), but I figure he is getting enough protein. He eats chicken nuggets, fish sticks (I thought it gross to give my kid fish sticks just cause I had never had them before, but he had them for lunch at daycare and loved them.) They are packed with protein. He LOVES cheese. Mac n cheese, grilled cheese, or just pieces of sharp cheddar on his tray. I give him pasta/sauce and garlic bread, turkey hot dogs, mashed potatoes and LOTS of veggies. This kid loves his veggies, he even likes tomatoes (we just found that out last week). I either open a can of veggies and store the remainder in tupperware, or I use these little individual veggie bowls that I get at Walmart for around a dollar. It has 4 containers of peas to a package. He likes food more at room temperature than warm (I think that's cause I rarely warmed up babyfood from the beginning.) They sell those little containers of peas, green beans, and carrots. They are convenient when you go out. I believe he gets plenty of nutrition from all of these things, and I am sure your babies will too. The transition will happen quicker than you think and you will look back in a few short months and realize that baby food is a thing of the past! I know where you are coming from though, cause I stressed over the food thing too. It has become much easier now that he eats table food. I originally thought it would be harder, but it's not.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home