Friday, May 04, 2007

ways to lift the "mommy blues"

I was reading an article about how to lift the "mommy blues." My favorite humorous suggestion was Report yourself to Child Protective Services. Enjoy your free two day vacation.

I gave myself a pat on the back when I read one of the serious suggestions, Get rid of the Barney and Raffi cds. Introduce your child to Bob Marley and They Might be Giants.

Yeah! Confirmation that there's nothing wrong with being a Barney free household. Years before the boys were born Steven & I discussed our desire to be a Barney free household (we have a Barney board book but that's it). The cd player in the boys' room has some kids cds in it right now but they're a Wee Sing, a Baby Einstein & a generic nursery rhyme cd (the teacher in me knows how important it is the boys hear the rhymes & rhythym of classic nursery rhymes). The remaining 2 cds in the player are TMBG & Van Morrison. When the boys aren't in their room we listen to my music. Before long, I'll have to stop using some of the cds (Aaron laughs and enjoys Violent Femmes but there are a few too many curses in the songs) but I can't picture that my car or house will ever become exclusively "kids music." I imagine one day, after they start going to a babysitter everyday, we'll have to fight the Barney battle, but for now we're safe and I'm glad to have confirmation that there's nothing wrong with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

That's funny... cause Jim and I always said we would not purchase anything Barney for Dylan. Thankfully, he has not received anything Barney as gifts either, so we are a Barney free household too!!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home