Tuesday, May 29, 2007

mix from mark 1


Product of the Forces (a mix) September 14, 1993

The songs are listed on one side of the tape insert but the artists are listed on the other side. The "cover art" is a separate paper whose images probably had some meaning but I have no idea what it was. They're some sort of fantasy/sci fi/comic booky type art. They look like they were cut out of magazines & glued together. One side of it has fire breathing dragons and the other has what looks like a scene from Star Wars with the TIE fighters.

Side A
  • Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd This song always makes me think of Steve, at some point in high school he told me this was my song since I was born in Alabama. When I look back on high school I think how different he was from the rest of those guys. If I remember correctly, his parents were from Virginia and went to Tech (the last conversation I remember having with him was about Tech football), he had this large poster of a deer in his room (I think he hunted) and his music taste was much more along the Lynyrd Skynyrd line. I think he and my Steven would get along great.
  • Wonderful Tonight Eric Clapton I've always loved this song and find it interesting how many memories it can evoke - all involving different people.
  • I Want You Bob Dylan
  • Something in the Way Nirvana
  • Rift Phish
  • Thank You Led Zeppelin
  • Swlabr Cream
  • Let it Grow Eric Clapton
  • Take the Money and Run Steve Miller
  • Silent in the Morning Phish
  • Release Pearl Jam I have always loathed Pearl Jam. There are several artists on Mark's mixes that I couldn't stand. I remember we had a debate about the "art of making mixes" and whether you should include songs you knew the person already liked or if you should put songs you thought they didn't like yet but could.

Side B

  • Wish you Were Here (live) Pink Floyd This is another one of my all time favorites. It's so overplayed but so amazing at the same time. The older I get and the more memories I attach to this song, the more deeply I love it. (The most recent memory was Steven & I lying in bed about a week ago, watching a documentary from the late 90's about Pink Floyd - nothing overtly special about it, just one of those wonderful ordinary moments.)
  • The Times They are a Changin' Bob Dylan
  • The Fat Old Sun Pink Floyd
  • My Friend, My Friend Phish
  • Captain Jack Billy Joel
  • Black Pearl Jam Here's where Mark's mix theory proved to be right. I did grow to love this song. I remember Tammy & I bonding over this song not long after we met during our freshman year in college.
  • Masters of War Bob Dylan sung by Eddie Vedder I'm not sure if Bob Dylan was playing along with Eddie Vedder or if that was just a Pearl Jam cover of the song.
  • Serenade the artist is also listed as Serenade :)
  • Romeo & Juliet the artist is also listed as Romeo & Juliet :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

OK, can I say that I don't understand how we STILL manage to find MORE similarities in our younger years... I have never liked Pearl Jam either, but fell in love with the song Black because one of my friends in HS INSISTED I listen to the song. I remember how he annoyed me about how great a song it was, and I finally broke down and listened to it. I still like it this day, I found myself singing along to it (I think it was on Lucy) just a few weeks ago.

7:52 PM  
Blogger virge said...

I've been having a hard enough time with seeing how much Dylan has grown in your Flickr pics. Now you've reminded me about all our quirky little commonalities and I miss you even more!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home