Thursday, April 05, 2007

old mix tapes

O-kay. I should be cleaning. My parents arrive in a few hours and there is still so much to do but, as usual, I've become distracted and am now way off track.

During our recent move I unearthed all kinds of things in our attic and storage areas: the pile of wedding gifts we never could decide what to do with (regift? Goodwill? keep in our attic forever out of guilt?), boxes of teaching goodies from my classroom days, treasures from various trips and more.

Today's distraction relates to a shoebox of old mix tapes that made it's way from my parents' house to our attic several years ago. As we packed & unpacked I tried to weed through all my years of accumulated junk and this box was an obvious "toss." However, I knew I couldn't bring myself to throw them out without first examining them.

I made the mistake of trying to tackle this box today. I know I don't have long before one of the boys wakes from their nap so I won't have time to tell about all of them, but I have to start. Some of the tapes must be almost 20 years old, even the most recent ones had to be over 10 years old. I didn't listen to any of the tapes. I attempted to take pictures of the covers (which I saved - hoarding habits die hard) and then promptly carried the box of tape cases & tapes to the trash. Even if those tapes would play without disintegrating I don't want to hear them. Some of them would bring back a flood of memories that are better left alone & some would bring up old embarrassing insecurities I don't need.

There were several tapes my friend Kathy made for me in elementary school & junior high. Tapes with titles like "29 Days" (I presume that referred to an upcoming Disney World trip we were taking together) & "This is Me Talking." There are several unlabeled ones whose contents I'll never know. There's one called "The Christian Slater Album" whose cover includes some sort of label reading "Note: To start operations, lift tone arm from the rest and pull tone arm up to the right until a click is heard." I don't know whether that tape was made by Kathy or another friend, Melissa, but I love it's adolescent innuendo.

Ahhh... I was just about to start on the ones I made but I hear Aaron.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home