Friday, March 10, 2006

venting about annoying people

I went with Steven to the ACC Tournament yesterday and it was an incredibly fun experience. I wish now I hadn't told Steven to take our friend Jason today instead of me!

Unfortunately, we were sitting next to two of the most annoying people. When we first sat down I thought how nice it was to see a nice clean cut father and his teenage son out together. They were sitting in the Virginia Tech section but, based on their lack of identifying colors/college stuff, didn't appear to pull for any particular team.

After the 2nd game of the day (Wake Forest/Florida State - I'm happy to say FSU lost) there is a long break and everyone has to leave the coliseum. While we were wandering around enjoying the beautiful weather and the entertainment Steven started telling me how, among other things, the kid kept pushing him with his legs and elbowing him. When we went back to our seats for the UVA/Tech game (Tech lost in an another heartbreakingly close manner) I took my turn next to the kid.

Before the game started he commented to his father that they must be sitting in the Tech section (Duh, did you not notice the large banner hanging above you and all the people in maroon and orange surrounding you all day?) so he declared he was going to "root against them." Annoying, but fairly typical for a teenager. Nature says you have to be contrary at that age. However, his attitude really began to grate on me. The boy and his father appeared to have even less basketball knowledge than I (which is pretty hard to do) yet they preceded to make what they thought were insightful comments throughout the game. I'm not going to bore everyone with all the obnoxious things they said and did throughout the game but by the time it was over I was seething. I got to where half the reason I wanted Tech to win was just so I could turn to the kid and make an obnoxious comment myself.

I can't stand contrary people. Those who have to make negative comments about things just to be negative when you know they don't really feel what they're saying, they just want to make everyone around them as miserable as they are. That boy and his father were just fortunate to be sitting around some well-mannered people. I can think of several people I know who wouldn't have kept their mouth shut listening to their attitude (Steven's cousin once brought a man in front of us to tears at a football game.). Hopefully they only had the tickets for yesterday's sessions so Steven and Jason don't have to listen to them today and Steven's parents don't have to listen to them Saturday and Sunday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool fridge magnets. I tried to leave you a message but I guess it doesn't work that way.

5:55 PM  
Blogger virge said...

Thanks. I ended up taking them off my page since they would stay on the board.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home