Monday, January 23, 2006

finally getting that piece of glitter off my nose...


Well Lee can't try to take the piece of glitter off my nose anymore...

When I got out of the shower yesterday I took out my nosering and threw it away.

Time to grow up.

No more nosering.

I don't regret it but I'm still sad. For years I said that when I got pregnant or had a baby I would take it out. (I don't want to be one of those mothers who thinks she's still a teenager.) Yesterday I decided time was up. I just felt it was the right moment to take it out. I was afraid I'd change my mind if I kept it so I threw it away as soon as I took it out.

After having a nosering for over 10 years it feels weird knowing it's completely gone. I took it out all the time but it feels different knowing I'll never put it back in.

I loved the way it looked and in some ways it felt like a piece of armor. "If you don't love me with this, than I don't need your love." "Go ahead. Pre-judge me. I'll prove all your stereotypes wrong." I really loved that one. Over the years I found people make all kinds of stereotypes about people with noserings. They weren't all bad ones either. I felt like I pushed beyond those stereotypes, both positive and negative, and showed that I was just me. Having a nosering didn't make me "cooler" or "edgier" nor did it make me a deviant. It just meant that I liked silver and the way it looked in my nose.

No more. No thin silver hoop. No tiny "diamond." No small silver ball. Just a nose with a hole in it (which Steven hasn't even noticed yet, just goes to show you how much attention he pays to my appearance!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Babs said...

good buy nose ring!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. you seem so old and uncool now. i kid ;)

3:26 PM  
Blogger virge said...

You should hear me talk about the teenagers in our neighborhood speeding down the street and making our furniture shake with their loud bass. I'm getting older and less cool every day ;)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made me very sad. I loved the Virge that wore a nose ring and will mourn her exit.

7:18 PM  
Blogger virge said...

Thanks for the love, mom. I remember when you were afraid I would get brain poisoning from it My comeback for anyone who commented negatively on it was always that if my mom could tolerate it then nobody else's opinion really mattered :)

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home