Tuesday, August 16, 2005

my husband

Last night, as my wonderful husband was spackling and sanding walls I told him about starting a blog. I teased that I would write an entry about how amazing he is and how much I love him. I should explain that while he was working so hard I was in the same room playing on the computer (we're converting my computer room into a future nursery) and forcing him to listen to my music (along with my off-key accompaniment). I eventually stopped playing long enough to remove all the books from my bookshelf and carry them into the other room so he could move the bookshelf. That was about the extent of my efforts. He carried out all the furniture except the computer and stereo so that I can continue using both as long as possible. Typical thoughtfulness on his part.

Earlier today, I was listening to In My Life (Beatles) and as I listened to the song I was so filled with love for my husband that I started crying. Not a sad cry or even a happy cry. Just a "so-much-emotion" cry. (Which I'm sure if the neighbors noticed they thought was weird since I'd done the "pull up to the house and wait in the car for the song to end" thing.)

We are pursuing adoption and we recently had to each write 12 page auto-biographical essays as part of the home-study process. It's ironic that at that time I struggled to write the sections describing him and our relationship but today I feel I could write 12 pages just on those things. I won't do that here though because it feels too raw and self-revealing (which is partially what made it hard for me to write the essay, it's very weird writing such personal stuff in order for someone to judge whether or not you deserve to be a parent). For a "dating anniversary" many years ago I gave him a several page list of the reasons I love him. Here are some things I would add to that list today. I love him because:
  • he doesn't complain about how lazy I am when it comes to physical labor (including yardwork)
  • he is patient with my old, blind and severely "special needs" dog
  • he knows when I need to eat just by my mood
  • he may get jealous over the time I spend at work and on the computer but he never gets jealous of people
  • he recognizes my character flaws and more importantly my attempts to improve myself
  • he is the only person who knows how to call me on my bullshit without shutting me down
  • he realizes how important my work is to me
  • he can organize a tailgate at a moment's notice
  • after a long stressful day at work he still listens to and acts interested in my incessant babbling
  • he understands my weird social fears (such as calling for a pizza or buying paint) and knows when to push me to do things anyway
  • he is comfortable with himself
  • he can fix almost anything
  • he's so darn cute when anticipating college football season

I could go on and on but I think I've made my point. He's the most wonderful man I know (and for some crazy reason he puts up with me). I just think he deserves the public recognition.

3 Comments:

Blogger Babs said...

so sweet. i am so happy that you have such a great partner.


but - you cannot call for pizza?

1:48 PM  
Blogger virge said...

I can (particularly when I am faced with the daunting task of cooking dinner if I don't), but I do not like to and I get very nervous. Not only is there the anxiety of the phone conversation with a stranger but the face-to-face interaction when it's delivered looms in my mind.

Like I said, my husband is a very patient man.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your husband is also awesome when he is still smiling after a week's invasion of his home by his mother-in-law and able to grin when I say that I could buy the house next door when it is for sale.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home